Thursday, July 17, 2008

Noodle Soup

I felt inspired to make a hot bowl of soup after watching Anthony Bourdain in Laos. The noodle soup he had for breakfast one day looked so great I just had to try making my own. So, here is my attempt to recreate what I saw on No Reservations keeping in mind soups I've had at Thai restaurants and using ingredients I had in the fridge and the cupboard.

Ingredients
Rice Noodles
5 cups water
1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped (only the white part)
7 chicken tender strips, cut into 1 inch squares
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
red pepper flakes (topping)
red pepper paste (topping)
green onion (chopped)
2 cloves of fried garlic, finely chopped (topping)

Instructions
Heat the oil over medium heat and add the 3 cloves of garlic, celery, and leek. Cook until tender. Add chicken and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until cooked through. Add water, rice noodles. salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook until noodles are al dente and then add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are done. Pour into bowls and then add the amount of each topping you like for your soup. Mix everything around in the bowl and enjoy!

No comments: