Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Spicy Noodles

I was at a complete loss on what to do about dinner. Order out? No. Go grocery shopping to prepare a meal? Not today. Actually leave the house after a busy day? I don't think so. I had a bag of frozen veggies, lots of condiments, and I found some rice noodles I completely forgot about. Yay! A delicious dinner ended up as the result after a quick consultation with www.cooksillustrated.com (um, ok, not a private consultation…I just looked up different rice noodle recipes to get an idea of which condiments to use). To turn this into a vegetarian meal, don't add the fish sauce. So, here’s my creation that resulted out of total laziness.

4-6 oz. rice noodles (I used Annie Chun’s Maifun Rice Noodles)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. red cooking wine
1 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. powdered ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 bag frozen vegetables
4 quarts of water

Bring the 4 quarts of water to a boil and then add the noodles for 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil and garlic over medium heat and add the frozen vegetables and heat until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Drain the noodles and add to the vegetables. Mix the noodles thoroughly with the vegetables, about 3-5 minutes.

No comments: